KDA was contracted by FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nation) to undertake the following on ESOLT(Enhancing Somali Livestock Trade) project.AS a service provider KDA was to :
- Develop tools for Techno-economic assessment and undertake mapping of opportunities of value addition on Somalia Livestock commodities and specifically on hides and skins.
- Preparation of guidelines and procedures manual for implementing processing value addition technologies.
- Conduct Value Chain Trainings for slaughter persons, hides and skin traders and inspectors.
- Conduct investment appraisal on rehabilitated infrastructure in the three zones of South/Central, Puntland and Somaliland.
- Preparation of concession Public Private Partnership(PPP) agreements with the private contractors for rehabilitated livestock processing, marketing/handling in South/Central, Puntland and Somaliland.
- Identify and support establishment/strengthening of livestock value chain organizations(New Pastoralist and Somali Livestock Sector Coordination Body-SOLISCAB) through appropriate capacity
The project was undertaken in the following areas in Somali:
1.Sinchleau–Burao and Hargeisa
2.Puntland–Bosaso and Garore
3 South/Central Somali–Mogadishu, Kismayu and Baidoi